Tuesday, April 6, 2010

INSANE floor








I have always been fascinated with psychology, and the first thing I thought of when I picked the word 'insane' was mentally insane. The idea to sort of recreate a cranial lobotomy came to me after I collected my found objects, (the green table and the bust) and grew as I began to construct the piece. But I was happy with what the idea grew into- a representation of inner insanity (the black mess oozing from the bust) versus the insanity of this controversial procedure. The setting I created was a general emulation of early 20th century psychiatric hospitals, where they often conducted experiments on patients in poor conditions. When displayed for the crit, I had a clamp light hanging over the table, trying to represent that it was a surgical procedure.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment